Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Southern Summer Nights


As I sit here and stare out my window I start thinking about my summers growing up. Jason Michael Carroll's song says it all.. "Growing up is getting old.." That it is. I miss the old days. The days as a kid, someone who actually looked forward to summer time, because that meant staying up late, sleeping in, playing all day and night and not having a care in the world. I remember spending my summers at my Nana's house while my mom worked and those summer nights were always my favorite. Playing with the boy next door and waiting for the sun to set so the lightning bugs would come out. That was one of our favorite things to do, catch the lightning bugs and put them in a jar. It was always so much fun. Where did those days go? When did I transition from catching lightning bugs to catching Zzz's as early as I could? Haha! I was riding home the other night with my mom and I had my window down and I was just watching the trees zoom by. A blur to me almost. And that's how I feel my life is going now days. Seems the older I get the faster time slips away! I just wish I could go back in time for just a little while and treasure my childhood a little more. I need to learn to "stop and smell the roses" if you will. Or "stop and listen to the crickets" as I have recently come up with! Haha! It's a southern thing! I was thinking the other night how much I love this time of year...watching those lightning bugs flashing off in the distance, listening to those crickets chirp at night and having it be almost like a lullaby at night while going to sleep. Smelling the sweet smell of honey suckles in the breeze. I love it! :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment